Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community of municipal gas professionals. To ensure the best possible experience for all users, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions, blogs, shared files, and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions and technical issues should be directed to our Member Services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. To preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialog, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message. Content should pertain to the municipal gas industry. “Fun” topics should be shared in their specific individual forums and must adhere to all rules.
- All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason. Blogs are used exclusively by APGA staff to share association news.
- Do not challenge or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation and create healthy debate, not to create contention or disparagement. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Do not post commercial or marketing messages on any discussion list, resource library entry, or any other area where others might see it. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them or if they specifically ask for such information in their post. Posts that include advertising, non-APGA event promotion, company press releases, or soliciting will not be allowed.
- Use caution when discussing products. Negative comments about a manufacturer or distributor should not be posted. The information posted on the lists and in the libraries is available for all APGA members (municipals, associate, and affiliate/joint action agency members) to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- No job postings. Please contact APGA about posting a job on our Job Opportunities page.
- Please refrain from discussing utility rates and salaries on the APGA Community as it could be seen as anti-competitive and a violation of APGA's anti-trust policy.
- All unprofessional, defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link to the left of every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the American Public Gas Association (APGA) and municipal gas system industry professionals. APGA is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties concerning information posted on this site, whether posted by the APGA, its members, or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall APGA be liable for any damages whatsoever, including special, indirect, or consequential damages, resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, anticompetitive, or otherwise illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. Also, the posting party grants APGA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate users to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
APGA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of APGA, we will take appropriate action.
APGA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines or remove any post or materials that are in violation of these rules or applicable laws without prior notice to the posting party. Further, APGA reserves the right to modify these Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines at any time and shall notify Community participants of such modifications.
We respect your privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information, please contact us using the Contact Us page.