Please view the below listing of open jobs APGA member publicly-owned natural gas utilities.
Note to Employers: Your APGA membership allows you to advertise your publicly-owned system's job openings. Your listing can also be placed in APGA's bi-weekly Public Gas News publication which goes out in printed and electronic copies to our members. The APGA member price for posting a job advertisement in Public Gas News is $100.00 for 100 words or less and 25 cents for each additional word. APGA does not allow non-members to post job advertisements in APGA publications effective March 2015. To view print rates & policies please click here. To post a job, please contact email@example.com or call 202-464-2742.
When submitting a job ad, applicant is required to give their contact information including name, company, phone, fax and e-mail address and agrees to have their information stored in our database. All job listings must comply with federal guidelines and standards and all companies must be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Listings will be removed within 30 days after application deadline unless otherwise stated.
Gas Service Technician - Trussville Gas and Water, AL
Trussville Gas and Water provides water and gas service to 8 communities in Central Alabama. Our gas coverage area includes parts of Argo, Birmingham, Center Point, Clay, Irondale, Margaret, Pinson and Trussville.
We are recruiting a Gas Service Technician position. This individual performs a variety of natural gas service duties to include customer service-related field tasks as well as skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the gas distribution systems.
- SAFETY is the number one responsibility of every employee at Trussville Gas and Water – this includes the safe operation and inspection of assigned Company vehicles and equipment.
- Work Orders: Inspect customer gas piping to ensure safe operations. Light pilots of natural gas appliances. Replace and install, meters and regulators as required by work orders issued from Customer Service. Paint meters as required. Service installation and poly-welding.
- Gas Leak Calls: Respond to assigned leak calls. Evaluate and diagnose leaks on services and mains. Determine next steps or make immediate onsite repairs if possible. When an emergency condition exists, call-out first responders and initiate the emergency response plan. Once fully trained the technician will be part of an on-call rotation for after-hours leak investigations.
- Water emergencies: Responding to water emergency calls including, but not limited to repairing water meters, service lines and water mains.
- Must become familiar with the contents of the Safety Manual and be involved in creating and maintaining a safe working environment. Must complete all required safety training.
- Other duties as required, commensurate with experience, skills, and abilities.
- Possess a journeyman gasfitter or master gasfitter license.
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- The position requires pre and post-employment screenings including drug and alcohol testing (as outlined by the Department of Transportation and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration), motor vehicle record (MVR) checks, criminal history checks, and other background checks and verifications.
- Effective verbal communication skills and interpersonal/customer service skills (listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy).
- Once hired, requires the successful completion of Trussville Gas and Water Gas Operator Qualification (OQ) and On the Job Training (OJT). Must maintain position OQs and any other required OQs and classroom training or certifications. Computer literacy required for completing service orders in customer information system.
- Ability to perform physical activities including but not limited to bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning, and lifting.
- Must be able to lift tools, equipment, and materials up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to complete reports legibly and accurately on paper and digitally.
- Must live within 30 minutes of service area due to call-out response time.
- May be required to hold stand-by duty work shifts, holidays, weekends, emergency call outs, and occasional extended hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and may be exposed to extremes of climate and temperatures, high noise levels, rough terrain, and occasional work on ladders, roofs, attics, and under houses as well as confined spaces.
- Prior utility experience preferred.
- Willingness to develop solid understanding of gas distribution and/or gas systems.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, blueprints, service orders and written instructions.
- Ability to use small hand tools and other metering and measuring devices.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of direct supervision.
Trussville Gas and Water offers extremely competitive salaries, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, and other insurance coverage, generous time-off schedules, training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and certification support.
Job Type: Full-time
- Normal Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.
- Some overtime including nights and weekends required.
- Natural gas experience, with emphasis on natural gas appliances and piping.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- State Retirement Plan
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement
To learn more about us and apply for this position, visit our website: www.trussville.com
- Be sure to attach your current resume and a cover letter, including salary requirements.
- Trussville Gas and Water provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Posted on 2/13/2020
General Manager - Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority
The Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority (Authority) is seeking candidates for its position of General Manager. The Authority is a governmental natural gas system serving a diverse customer-based of more than 13,000 customers between the metropolitan areas of Greenville-Spartanburg and Columbia, South Carolina. This is a tremendous opportunity for the right candidate!
As the top executive leadership position, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing, planning and directing the activities of the Authority’s workforce of approximately 50 personnel to ensure the proper agency administration and provision of public services. The position reports to the Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority Board of Directors that comprise of the mayors and two councilmen of both the City of Clinton and the City of Newberry with an at-large seventh member that must reside from the service area.
Duties and responsibilities include those typical of a top organization position. They include:
• Representing the Authority in all matters including communicating with customers, Board members, employees, vendors, community organizations, joint purchasing agencies, etc.
• Developing, recommending and implementing administrative and operational strategies, policies and procedures as well as submitting and administering the Authority’s annual budgets, internal and external reports.
• Overseeing the Authority’s allocation of workforce, schedules, standards and duties of assigned staff as well as the quantity and quality of results.
• Responsibility and managing the Authority’s natural gas supply procurement process, strategy, contracts, and logistics.
• All personnel matters regarding hiring, discharge, promotions, discipline and compensation.
The minimum training and experience for this position requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or business (a Master’s degree preferred), supplemented by seven or more years of experience in natural gas operations and/or administration, and at least three years of managerial experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess and maintain a valid state of South Carolina driver's license.
It is expected that the successful candidate will surpass the minimum qualifications and have significant and specific experience and training in both business and technical aspects of the natural gas distribution industry.
Compensation and relocation are negotiable
Send Resume’ to: Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority
Att: Mr. Stan Bryson
PO Box 511
Clinton, SC 29325
Posted on 2/7/2020
Safety & Training Coordinator - Middle Tennessee Natural Gas Utility District
Middle Tennessee Natural Gas Utility District (MTNG) has an opening for the position of Safety & Training Coordinator in the Smithville Office.
If you are seeking a challenging and rewarding career with a progressive, customer-oriented, and highly motivated public natural gas company, then this job opening may well be for you. A full job description, requirements, and application can be found by visiting the MTNG website at https://www.mtng.com/employment/
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume and a completed MTNG Employment Application to:
Human Resources & Communications Department
MTNG Administrative Center
1030 W Broad St; Smithville, TN 37166
In order to be considered, all applications and accompanying resumes must be physically in the Human Resources & Communications Department no later than 4 pm on Monday, January 20, 2020. Late and incomplete applications will not be considered.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html , or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information request in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted on 1/2/2020
Gas Commodity & Project Administrator - Cedar Falls Utilities
Department: Operations Salary
Reports to: Gas & Water Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pre-employment Testing: Drug and health screening prior to contingent offer
Position Testing: DISC profile, project management skills, gas utility knowledge
Under limited supervision, provides technical support to the Gas & Water Operations Department personnel. Take responsibility for the cost effective purchase of natural gas, and all related contracts including commodity and transportation. Maintain expertise of the natural gas market in order to disseminate critical information to a gas commodity purchasing team. Recommend and facilitate the purchases with the gas commodity team with a goal of purchasing at the lowest possible cost.
Extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. This position requires proven leadership skills, achieving results through team involvement and commitment.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Purchases wholesale natural gas for Cedar Falls Utilities to include daily, monthly, and long term gas nominations; reconciles gas-purchasing invoices; hedges natural gas purchases; negotiates contracts with gas suppliers/marketers, and pipelines providers.
Maintain a position on the Board of the Central Plains Energy Project to monitor our interests in that organization. Represent CFU in the Northern Municipal Distributors Group and strive to sit on the executive board.
Assist with the preparation and reporting requirements of the Gas Operation’s CIP and O&M Budgets and the Gas and Water Strategic Plans.
Work with regulatory agencies pertaining to the Cedar Falls Utilities gas system. Function as Project Manager for major projects and strategic initiatives affecting the Gas and Water Utilities.
Responds to and assists with emergency response.
Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes positive relations with customers, co-workers and management.
Knowledge of: Utility knowledge in gas operations; leadership skills, problem solving techniques, CFU policies and procedures; organizational skills; computer software applications, natural gas market; Northern Natural Gas Tariff; DOT Pipeline Safety Regulations Part 192, gas industry contacts, and CFU Gas Emergency Procedures Manual.
Ability to: Utilize computer databases and software in preparing and organizing reports and spreadsheets; carry out work assignments as instructed; maintain accurate records; meet deadlines that are imposed by pipeline, contracts, and manager; create spreadsheets based on nomination, usage records, and pricing; communicate effectively orally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education: Equivalent of an Associate’s degree in business, marketing or industrial operations.
Experience: Five (5) years gas utility and supervisory experience.
Residency: Is required to live within a 20 minute drive time from the CFU office building. Certifications/License: Applicable Gas System Operator Qualification Modules,
PHYSICAL TASKS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work involves sedentary to light work in an office setting. In emergency situations must be able to work in a difficult outdoor environment and be able to lift up to 75 pounds. Employee accommodations for physical or mental disabilities will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by positions within this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Posted on 12/31/2019
System Engineering Manager - Okaloosa Gas District
System Engineering Manager; Valparaiso, FL.
Salary Range: $82,236.80 To $107,806.40
Relocation assistance may be provided on a case-by-case basis
Okaloosa Gas District, located in the Panhandle of Florida 30 minutes from sunny Destin, is seeking qualified candidates to fulfill the critical role of System Engineering Manager.
The position’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manages all engineering activities for the District including plan design, cost analysis, pipeline construction, maintenance, and rehabilitation.
- Responsible for the design, modification and maintenance of regulator station and other critical facilities.
- Provide engineering information, advice, and assistance to customers, contractors, etc. Precipitates communication between government representatives, contractors, and engineers.
- Performs functions related to staffing such as interviewing, counseling, mentoring and evaluation. Visits job sites to evaluate employee performance, job safety and proper work methods.
- Oversees the developmental and implementation of design and construction standards; ensures compliance with District standards, as well as with local, state and federal codes and ordinances.
Okaloosa Gas is company who lives a Team or Family atmosphere and actively promotes and supports this in every day work life.
To learn more about us, this position, or how to apply, visit https://www.okaloosagas.com/career-opportunities Posted on 12/31/2019
Utility and Railroad Safety Director - Virginia State Corporation Commission
The Virginia State Corporation Commission (“SCC”) seeks a highly professional and talented leader to serve as Director of the Division of Utility and Railroad Safety (“Director”). The Director is responsible for the regulation of all aspects of pipeline safety, railroad safety, and damage prevention for the SCC. The Director oversees various programs within the Division, which consists of approximately 33 employees. The Director advises the Commission and the General Assembly concerning safety issues and identifies and recommends solutions in regulatory areas. Subject to the supervision of the Commission, the selected candidate for this position will: develop the Division’s legislative program; review proposed legislation; appear before state legislative committees and subcommittees; and work closely with related state and federal agencies. The selected candidate for this position will establish goals, objectives, management policies, and priorities for the Division and will review staff policies and recommendations. Public presentations and travel are required.
A cover letter outlining relevant qualifications, experience, and interest for this specific position should accompany all applications.
Preferred qualifications for this position include comprehensive executive or senior management level experience in the utility industry; some experience with underground utility damage prevention, gas and hazardous liquid pipeline facilities, and/or railroads and their facilities; experience leading and managing senior professional staff; and educational background or experience in Business Administration, Engineering, or a related field. Extensive knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations of the SCC and the various federal agencies engaged in public utility and railroad safety regulation is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to think strategically; delegate responsibility and review results to ensure deliverables are met; make quality and timely decisions; lead major initiatives that achieve desired results; and lead and direct the performance of employees while inspiring vision and motivation in the delivery of Division and SCC services. In addition, the selected candidate will maintain effective working relationships with SCC staff; industry personnel; trade representatives; Virginia executive, legislative, and regulatory offices and agencies; and the general public. Applicants must have the ability to lead, coach, and develop professional staff. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
The SCC fosters a high-performing workforce with a commitment to collegiality, teamwork, collaboration, and alignment with the SCC’s vision, mission, and strategic goals. Core competencies that are essential for all SCC employees include achieving organizational results, working with others, and personal management and effectiveness. Leadership competencies include strategic leadership and developing and managing talent.
In addition to a rewarding work experience, the SCC offers core benefits including competitive health and life insurance programs, pre-tax spending accounts, leave programs, and paid holidays. Employees participate in a state retirement plan with options for tax-deferred retirement savings including employer matching. The state funds a short and long-term disability program.
The SCC regulates various companies and industries in Virginia; therefore, to avoid any conflict, employees are required to sign a Conflict of Interest Form and must dispose of any stock they hold in a regulated company or dispose of any licenses or certificates they hold in any industry regulated by the SCC unless otherwise permitted. Employees also shall report employment of household members by a regulated company. An incumbent of this position is required to complete the Statement of Economic Interests Form.
The SCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Military veterans and national service alumni are encouraged to apply. The SCC uses the E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization and does not provide sponsorship. If requested, the SCC will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and interview process. A background investigation is conducted on the selected candidate as a condition of employment.
The information you submit must clearly demonstrate your experience and qualifications as they relate to this position. Interview consideration is based on the information submitted online.
This position is classified in the SCC Salary Structure as a Grade P-17 and is classified as exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
How to Apply
This position will remain open until filled; however, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by January 16, 2020.
Qualified internal and external candidates are encouraged to apply. If you are an external candidate, apply on the SCC Career Center website at https://careercenter.scc.virginia.gov. If you are an internal candidate, apply using eSCC (Oracle- iRecruitment Employee Candidate.
Posted on 12/25/2019
Regulatory Compliance Analyst - Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia (MGAG)
The Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia is seeking applicants for the position of Regulatory Compliance Analyst for the northeast Georgia area of its Subscribed Regulatory Compliance Service (SRCS). The successful candidate will work directly with Operators, Master Meter Operators, and Contractors in an area extending from the outskirts of metropolitan Atlanta eastward and northward to the North and South Carolina state lines.
The Municipal Gas Authority of Georgia is the largest non-profit natural gas joint-action agency in the United States, serving Members in Georgia, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Florida that meet the gas needs of more than 245,000 customers. The Subscribed Regulatory Compliance Service is a department of the Gas Authority that was formed in 2006 to meet the growing need for a comprehensive, effective, and affordable service to assist public gas systems and related entities in achieving and maintaining compliance with pipeline safety regulations. SRCS Subscribers are not required to be Gas Authority Members.
The Regulatory Compliance Analyst will assist subscribing municipal gas system Operators and Master Meter Operators achieve and maintain compliance with 49 CFR Parts 191, 192, and 199/40, and state-specific pipeline safety regulations, including assistance with administration of a web-based work order and record keeping system; administration of a web-based Operator Qualification Program; assistance with and deliver of OQ training and evaluating; report preparation; inspection preparation, attendance and response; and manuals development, implementation, and maintenance. The Operator Qualification portions of the service will also be made available to contractors. See srcsgasauthority.com for more information.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or a related technical field, or equivalent related industry experience, and at least five years of recent, relevant experience in gas distribution operations. Candidates should have a thorough understanding of the pipeline safety code, excellent written and oral communication skills, and a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet Explorer. The successful candidate will be responsible for implementation of the service with a designated group of up to 20 Subscribers in northeast Georgia.
Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2020, or until position is filled. Interested individuals should send their resumes, including references and salary requirements to email@example.com. The Gas Authority is an equal opportunity employer.
Posted on 12/11/2019
Program Technician - KNOXVILLE UTILITIES BOARD
Location: KNOXVILLE, TN
Vacancy # 17507
Position Type: Regular/Full-time
Pay Plan: Engineering and Operations
Pay Grade: 6, 7, 8
Salary $44,200 - $87,500 Annually
Job Classification: Program Technician
Department: 085 Safety & Regulatory Compliance
Work Location: 4505 Middlebrook Pike
Work Schedule: 40+ hours / week: M - FAbout KUB:
The Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB) is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing electric, gas, water and wastewater services to more than 461,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We exist to serve our customers, improving their quality of life by providing utility services that are safe, reliable and affordable. And our mission is about more than just pipes and wires. It’s about being good stewards of our community’s resources: utility assets, customer dollars, and theenvironment. We work to safeguard those resources and enhance their value for the people of the communities we serve and generations to come.Work Description:
The Program Technician will perform tasks associated with natural gas regulatory programs as assigned.
Support and assist with compliance of federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations related to natural gas
distribution system compliance under DOT (PHMSA) and TPUC. Coordinate and oversee Operator Qualification (OQ) Field Inspections for internal employees and external contractors performing work on KUBs natural gas distribution system. Perform, facilitate, and sometimes lead internal training on procedures related to KUBs natural gas distribution system (in a classroom or at the Natural Gas Training Center), and coordinate external training with area fire departments, rescue squads, key customers, etc. Perform destructive testing and be involved with regulatory activities (TPUC construction inspections; internal checks/audits; reviewing data; compliance audits; and proactive/reactive damage prevention activities). Regularly advise SRS manager and appraiser progress of assigned tasks and compliance issues. Act in an advisory capacity on technical issues involving other KUB departments or KUB customers. Use guidelines and work independently and with others to ensure goals are achieved and performs additional duties as assigned. Maintains program documentation by routinely utilizing computers, tablets, and various software programs to record data associated with daily assignments. Must complete KUB's Gas OQ program and maintain certification. Note: For more specific information regarding this position, please contact Human Resources.Minimum Qualifications
- One (1) year experience in the natural gas field
- High school education or equivalent
- Valid driver's license
Requires the ability to bend, stoop, lift up to 40 pounds, walk considerable distances, and around
construction sites. Requires more than normal mental and visual alertness quite frequently. Working Conditions: Works outside 70-100% of the time in all types of weather as required. Work performed in the office under normal office conditions. May be required to work unusual hours or more than an eight-hour workday from time to time. Note: The physical demands described above are intended to relate the approximate physical demands of the classification. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and / or exceed those demands described above. Additional information regarding specific positions is available in Human Resources.
- Two-year technical degree or two (2) years experience in the natural gas field
- Knowledge of 49CFR192 regulations
- Knowledge of NFPA codes
- Knowledge of KUB’s natural gas distribution system
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional manner and provide excellent customer service to all employees, customers, management, guests, contractors, and regulatory officials
- Ability to handle and solve customer concerns on a day-to-day basis
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Access, Excel, Word, etc.), or other software applications such as KUB’s Customer Information System (CIS) and/or Graphical Information System (GIS)
- Strong oral communications, interpersonal, and team skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage time accordingly, and stay well organized
(Subject to change)
- Phase 1 Submit online application at www.kub.org
- Phase 2 Experience, training and education evaluation
- Phase 3 Interview with department representatives
- Phase 4 Written, performance and behavioral exercises
- Phase 5 Background investigation
- Phase 6 Physical assessment
If special accommodations are needed at any phase of the selection process, please notify Human Resources in advance.NOTES
Only candidates submitting a completed KUB application and completing each component of the selection process will be considered for KUB positions. KUB does not accept unsolicited applications; completed applications are only considered for advertised vacancies. Please no third party inquiries. Due to the volume of applications and resumes we receive, only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. Applicants should apply on all positions of interest. KUB reserves the right to consider applications for additional vacancies in the same classification within 120 days of the original posting, after which time, applicants must reapply to be considered for any openings. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide correct and updated contact information to KUB during the active period of the application. If KUB is unable to contact the applicant because the information on the application is no longer correct, the application will be considered inactive and the applicant no longer eligible for employment. For more specific information regarding this position, please contact Human Resources. KNOXVILLE UTILITIES BOARD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Senior Resource Planner/Resource Planner
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Salary $109,699.20 - $194,438.41 Annually
The City of Palo Alto has provided a full range of utility services (electric, gas, water, and sewer) for over 100 years, and is one of the only publicly-owned gas utilities in the State of California. City of Palo Alto Utilities (CPAU) has been on the forefront of sustainability, with 100% carbon neutral electric and gas portfolios and an award winning solar program. CPAU is working to address long term business planning challenges related to sustainability and the long-term need to maintain safety, reliability, and reasonable rates.
The Resource Management Division (RMD) of CPAU has a key role in helping CPAU meet these challenges. The Division is responsible for an approximately $120 million per year budget for electricity, gas, and water supply purchases and customer efficiency and sustainability programs. The Division consists of the Utility Program Services group, which runs programs to help customers use energy more efficiently and reduce their carbon footprint, and the Resource Planning group. This position will be located in the Resource Planning group, which is a group of analysts responsible for, among other things, managing CPAU's electricity, natural gas, and water supply and delivery portfolios, developing customer retail rates, utility financial planning, and collaborating with Utility Program Services to develop and implement innovative customer programs.
CPAU is seeking a Senior Resource Planner or Resource Planner to join the Resource Planning group. We will be considering applications at either level as we may have multiple positions available. Work assigned will depend in part on the skills and interests of the successful candidate, but will likely include electric or gas supply resource planning and contract management, retail rate making, or analytical work in support of customer programs.
Candidates at the Senior Resource Planner level may manage junior staff and are expected to be able to independently manage one or more of the functions within Resource Planning, such as high dollar / complex supply contracts, energy portfolio strategy, customer program portfolio strategy, or utility rate design and financial management. Resource Planners are expert individual contributors tasked with sophisticated analysis in support of Resource Planning functions. Resource Planners, under minimal supervision, perform a variety of tasks related to supply resource acquisition, financial forecasting, and customer program development for the City's electric, gas, and water utility.
Each Resource Management Division staff member has the opportunity to work on a cross section of projects based on organizational needs and staff member skills and interest. Initial projects contemplated for the person hired into this position, depending on skills and experience, may include:
- Natural gas portfolio planning, operations, and related regulatory advocacy
- Analytical support for Electric Integrated Resources Plan implementation and other electric supply analysis
- Electric supply contract management, including negotiations with counterparties
- Rate design, sales analysis, and financial forecasting support
- Coordination with Utilities Engineering to integrate electric vehicles, solar, and similar technologies into the electric distribution system
- Analytical support for transportation and building electrification efforts
- Analysis to support customer program development and implementation
- Industry research and outreach to outside agencies in support of these activities
- The person in this position may also participate in other projects and planning efforts when needed.
This is a full-time position, but applicants seeking part-time positions will be considered if there is alignment between the candidate's requirements and the department's needs. Please provide details in your application. Ideal Candidate
CPAU is seeking a candidate with excellent analytical and program management skills. Experience in any of the following areas would be highly preferred:
- Electric supply resource planning, operations, and contract management.
- Natural gas supply resource planning and operations
- Distribution system integration of electric vehicles, solar, and similar technologies, ideally with some electrical engineering background
- Rate design and development and utility financial forecasting, load forecasting, and financial analysis
- Customer program development and implementation, particularly experience related to distributed energy resources such as photovoltaics, electric vehicles, energy storage, micro-grids, and building de-carbonization technologies is highly preferred.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following for the Senior Resource Planner level:
- Management of utility supply resource portfolios by performing resource planning, acquisitions, management, and contract administration activities, including structuring and origination of energy products and deal
- Manages rate and cost of service studies; formulates recommendations for customer retention and competitiveness through rates and other utility activities.
- Facilitates strategic planning processes (such as strategic planning for efficiency, EVs, building electrification, and other demand-side programs) through data acquisition, analysis, decision process facilitation, report preparation, and critical activity analysis and tracking.
- Represents the department and/or the City to the public, to other agencies, and to regional and sub-regional committees, including conducting public meetings, making presentations, and responding to requests for information.
- May supervise technical, clerical, and lead staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
To view the full job description for the Senior Resource Planner, go here
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following for the Resource Planner level:
- Evaluates the Utilities' supply and demand-side resource portfolio and recommends adjustments to match the City's (and/or customer's) risk and return preferences. Assists in the negotiation and writing of contracts for the purchase and/or sales of electric, gas or water resources with suppliers or buyers as appropriate.
- Evaluates the cost and benefits of demand-side resources including efficiency measures, demand response programs, electric vehicle programs, and customer-sited generation and storage.
- Assists in maintaining liaison with regional resource planning or supply agencies; serves on agency committees as required; evaluates proposals by other agencies in terms of resource costs, availability and consistency with long-term City financial projections and resource needs, and recommends appropriate courses of action.
- Assists in rate and cost of service studies as required and formulates recommendations for utilities rates.
- When assigned to distribution system integration of distributed energy resources, assist with distribution system planning and coordinates with Utilities Electric Engineering to integrate distributed energy resources into the electric distribution system.
To view the full job description for the Resource Planner, go here Minimum Qualifications
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge and skills, which would typically be acquired through:
For the Senior Resource Planner
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, or a related field and seven years of progressively responsible related experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above. Master's degree preferred.
For the Resource Planner
- Valid California Driver's License.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Economics, Mathematics or other related field (Electrical Engineering preferred); Or Bachelor's Degree in Electrical (Power) Engineering or equivalent power engineering knowledge acquired through other means when assigned to distribution system integration of distributed energy resources. And six years of increasingly responsible experience in utilities resource planning, acquisition and portfolio management (Engineering degree may substitute for two years of experience).Note: Master's degree in Engineering or other related field and/or registration as a Professional Engineer may be considered in lieu of one year's experience.
- Valid California driver's license.
|Did You Know?
The APGA job bank is one of our most-visited pages, reaching over 700 gas professionals per month. Posting a job here guarantees a lot of high quality views. Posting jobs here is free for APGA members, please contact APGA to post your listing.